You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Education in Kerala

School teachers and non-academic works

Here in Kerala, School teachers are entrusted with several non-academic activities, such as conducting surveys, collecting different types of data, organizing youth festivals, attending various courses, etc. All these are taking their time away from doing their actual duty, namely teaching. Definitely, this affects the students. Comments?
    Education is meant for the all round development of the child. It involves academic as well as extra curricular activities. Its aim is not only to secure a job. Education provides social, emotional, intellectual and academic development of the child. Serving the society is also part of the duty of a citizen. So what ever the teacher does will influence the students. The teachers and parents are the best role model to the child. So teachers have to be proud for being given more responsibilities.

Further arranging youth festival is a part of their job. Attending refreshing courses is necessary to get updated to new knowledge and approaches that can be applied while teaching.

Teaching is one of the best profession and one has to be proud of being a teacher. It is a service sector job which gives more importance to mental satisfaction. Great job done by all our teachers to help us reach this level.

While giving a sympathetic ears to the problems of teaching community, we need to understand that they are one of the fortunate service class in the country. Yes, they are used for other non-teaching works, but I wonder how it affect their teaching abilities. The primary purpose of every teacher is imparting education to the pupils and it should come from within. Teaching is just more than a mere profession. Do you see any other working community getting leaves and other benefits as that of teachers? I wonder. They work only 4 hours a day. Weekly, five days. so, in a month 20 days. It means they work only for 80 hours a month. Besides these, they got a number of holidays. Still they complain about their work. It is pity

Sooris
    malluslokam.blogspot.com

My posting was not for arguing that the teachers are overloaded with work or under employed. My point was that the main objective of posting a teacher is to see that they are teaching regularly and the students are learning things ideally. That is the academic activities go on smoothly.

The teacher has to do lot of home work and come to the class well prepared.Similarly several class tests, examinations, assignments, etc. are given to the students, the evaluation of these are done at home. I have seen several teachers sitting during night hours to finish these works in time.

The contention that teachers work only 4 hours a day is not right. The working hours of every school is 10.00 AM to 4.00 PM, with a lunch break of one hour. The starting time may be different in certain cases. Most of the Saturdays are in a way working for the teachers. The cluster meetings, computer training, or some other training are always arranged on those days.Further the time they spend in their house for evaluation etc. are actually part of their duty.

Actually, my doubt was this is affecting the academic standards of the wards.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.