You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Why we go to places of worship:

People of all religion go to their respective places of worship like the temples of Hindus, Churches of Christians and Mosques of Muslims and other religious places of other religions. Why we are going there? Majority of the human beings are having an inner restlessness. Whatever is achieved, still they feel that something is wanting. Actually what we search for is the peace and tranquility.
    Why go to the religious places for this? The earth is having various kinds of energy all over it. The easiest one we understand is the gravitational energy (force). In the olden days whenever, a place of worship is to be built, the experts of the various fields of life like the Vaastu, architecture, diviners and the priests etc are involved and they select the place where the institution is to be built. They select the best place with the best positive energy concentration. The materials for constructions are selected; the images, idols etc are also made out of the selected materials. So when the building is complete the positive energy of nature is maximum in the place. After the completion of the building and installation of the images, expert priests do the chanting on the almighty and sanctify the place with further pure and positive energy. In case of Hindu Temples, invariably there will be a tank, lake, river or ocean close by which mostly will have some special effect on those who take bath in it, because of some minerals/medicinal properties present. There will also be one or more of the trees like papal, banyan; neem etc inside the compound which will create some special effect in the atmosphere of the temple. The thirtha given will contain essences of the materials used for the abhisheka of the idol and flowers used which all will have some minerals or medicinal substances. All these create a positive vibration, peace of mind and relief in some cases of sicknesses. If people without any prejudice go there, they will feel a difference in the atmosphere comparing to other places. If the persons are with faith the experience will still be better. Only those who have no faith may not feel anything in the place. Apart from the positive energy, the places of worships are having codes to be observed. This also adds to the effect.
    With all the above facts we get some relief in our tension, stress, anxieties when we go to the places of worship and spend some time there. Of course just by going and coming to and from those places, we may not gain much. We should observe the codes of the places for the full benefit.
    Ramanathan A R a warm welcome to this site and i must appreciate your post of this thread which will get good response from the members. We the common man are bound to do mistakes knowingly or unknowingly in our present lives. We seek solace from the god and try to get a pardon from him. That is why places of worship to act as medium of our feelings to vent between us and god.

K Mohan

Every drop of water counts... And every word posted here also counts.....

A well informative and well studied article.No exaggeration and no try for hypothesize caught my attention.Humans are like batteries a sort of rechargeable batteries.When our battery gets low we need to recharge it to reuse it.For recharging we need a battery,a connector and a power source.We are the battery,our prayers and hopes are the connectors or medium and temples,churches,mosques or any other religious place is the power source.The power source depends on the person's amount of stress and needs.Thus a person who believes in places of worship go there and those who don't,go to beach or any place of solitude.This also depends on a person's character,that is some people goes with their friends and enjoy that day.But eventually what a person want is his connector and power source to recharge himself.

Now coming to the topic.Religious worship places might have served its purpose in an early period.But what is it's condition now?A worship place as described by Ramanathan,peace and tranquility centres,can't be spotted nowadays.They have become centres of loud speakers,crowds exhaling large amounts of CO2,hangouts for teenagers,altogether making it an unhealthy place of worship.It gets worsen during festival season.I am not grouping each and every religious worship places but unfortunately most of them bears the tag of unhealthy worship place.So my point is,a worship place nowadays is not equal to a peace or tranquility centre.

I agree with my co-member Mr K Mohan fully and thank him for his comment.
    I also agree with Godot that we require recharge like the batteries.
    Even now by and large, the religious places serve the purpose for which they were intended. We should discount those religious places which have come up on the spur of the moment of some happening like the Babri Masjid trouble, when hundreds of temples and mosques were built overnight on Government land and Civic amenity sites all over our country. These places are not at all to be counted as religious places as they have come with hatred. There are several temples at least and with my limited knowledge, churches and mosques in the country which serve the purpose of peace and tranquility. I had been to several temples in Kerala, Tamilnad, Andhra, Maharashtra, Madhyapradesh and further north. I found them to be serving the purpose I mentioned in my article. I had been to Nagore durga and Ajmer Durga and 3-4 churches in Tamil nad and Karnataka. These also are serving the purposes. That is why thousands of people are thronging there to offer their prayers and worship.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Most of us go to the places of worship for different reasons. It is true that a temple (may be a church or mosque)will generally situated in a very serene atmosphere. Vast area in and around the shrine can be expected. Trees and water frontage also are seen. It is only a fact that one can unwind in such an atmosphere. More over those who go to the temple generally are taking a holiday from their tiresome works. A bath in a river is, no doubt, rejuvenating. (These days, one has to be careful about the quality of water !)
    In addition to all these a centre of worship had been a place of social gathering. People found this place as a source of information. This places encouraged the development of fine arts. Most of our classical art forms have developed in temple premises. Thus the centres of worship had a social function too.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

Yes. It is true that in addition to have the inner peace, the place also serve as a social get together and exchange of information between family members/friends.
    With Regards
    Ramanathan A R

Hello,

People go to places of worship. It is matter of inner feeling for worship for everyone. It is also our culture and it is case of faith on God.

With Regards,

Gopal Singh Rawat.

Hi,

Prayer is the key that fits the lock of the door into a deepening relationship with God. When we pray, we are having a silent and intimate conversation with God regarding out thoughts, our desires etc. People pray because they have a faith that there is some great power which is ruling the entire universe. There is a belief that although the almighty has already written everyone's destiny beforehand, a strong and heartfelt prayer can make him change his mind and alter our destiny accordingly. For this sake, people even indulge in various methods like puja's, fasting etc to 'please' the gods. A small prayer every morning just after waking up gives us the strength to tackle any problems that may arise through the day.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.