You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

How can we save Electricity?

Let us discuss
    How can we save Electricity?
    Electricity is a precious recourse. There may be some backward places in India, where electricity has not yet reached. But where electricity is available, people will understand the importance of electricity and the difficulties when there is some problem in the supply. Except for 2 - 3 states in India all other states are having huge shortage of electricity.

Hence it is very important to save every possible unit of electricity. We can save electricity by switching on only the points that are required. Switch of the equipments like lights, fans, washing machine etc as soon as their purpose is over. Every unit saved is equal to a unit produced.

With Regards
    Ramanathan A R

Hello Mr.Ramanathan A R

It is very nice to read your views. I am satisfied with you that Electricity is a precious recourse. Infact It is as much needed in human's life as water,sunlight,air etc. It is greatest discovery of Science. Electricity is precious we should save it. There are many methods from which we can save Electricity. Some of them are as under.
    We should switch off lights and appliances that we are not using. With it we can save much amount of Electricity.
    We should try and avoid using appliances that use a lot of energy, like washing machines and heaters.
    Electricity is also produced by water so we should also save water. All these small -small things will make great extent of savings.

Well it is not one's work we all will have to work collectively for saving Electricity.

With Regards

Gopal Singh Rawat
    SPK(SpiderKerala).

Hi,

There are many tips to save electricity..
    1. Switch off your television, fan, light,and other entertainment devices when they are not being used.

2. You must Cool food if it is hot before put it into the fridge and also don't put uncovered liquid in fridge.

3. If you won't use your computer for a small interval ,then switch off the computer monitor.

4.Try to turn off all your electrical equipments for at least half an hour everyday. It will save electricity.

5. Replace regular light bulbs with CFLs.

6 .Try to avoid AC and use fans as much as you can.

Regards,
    Minu

Electricity is a boon of nature . Starting from Benjamin Franklin , it has got a painful and long journey for the science world to bring this boon to us at he nominal price we get it for . But we should not consider electricity as any commodity which is always present in the market and which can be bought for money . As is the present case , it is a commodity which has a supply much lesser than its demand and our government is not being able to cope with the high power requirements of the peak hours .

As citizens of this nation and state it is our duty to conserve electrical energy .We can always reduce the use of some of the appliances at our house and tend to be more collective while using some devices .

We can use electrical appliances of lower power rating at our homes because our requirements are moderate . Moreover we should sometimes wash our clothes manually too . After humans have to do some physical work . There is no use of sitting lazy .If we don't be active , it wont be so late before our hearts fall weak . so wake up . conserve electricity and start using your body sometimes !

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

The shortage of electricity is one of the major issues which we are facing. In a state like Kerala, it is the responsibility of everyone to save electricity. Because the board is not able to supply according to the demand. Any of our Governments didn't take any action to solve this issue. Even they could not make it avail the complete advantage of Kayamkulam Termal Power Project. Still we are depending water as a source of electricity.

In this situation, it is better to depend other sources for electricity. One of them are Solar Inverter based equipements. There are so many devices and equipements are available based on this technology. If we can use these devices in our homes & offices we can reduce the usage of the electricity from the electricity board.

The solar inverter has a solar panel which contains solar cells, which converts the solar energy to electricity. The electricity produced by the solar panel is stored in a battery. And the inverter converts the DC current from the battery to AC 230 volt current.

Now a days a wide range of solar equipements are available in the market (from small solar lamps to heavy duty iverters which can serve all the needs of a home).

The initial invest ment will be high, when compared to the connection from the board. If we buy good quality products, it will work for years without any maintenance or with less maintenance.

Hi,

Saving Electricity to a great mile can be achieved by a little
    effort from each one of us. I don't mind to tell that load shutting will be the results of our carelessness.

Let me share some ideas, what I felt will help us to reduce the usage of electricity. Thus we can keep some penny in our pockets.

-> Use solar energy, I think this energy as of now is free of cost (I don't know will some one take patent for that in future :)). Please make use of Solar energy and it will really reduce our current bill. For Example Solar Water Heater will be a huge relief for all of us, since water heater is the one which may use most of the current.
    Also we can make use of solar lights as room lights or garden lights..

More than all of the above now we have got SOLAR batteries. It will store energy during day time and can be used to run all electrical products. Not only lights, fans it can be used to operate TV, Refrigerator, Water Pump etc... Surprisingly these batteries will give back up more than 5 hours (WOOOW).. It will can be used during peak hours and we can really save our precious electricity and our pocket.

So I am thinking what if all of us are using the solar battery ??? Great dream :)

Let me come back I do know these solar products are bit expensive, however the fact that we will have only one time expense (Unless we did not break the solar panels (chumma...)) for these Solar products.
    Otherwise at the end of the day, when we are ready to go to Heaven/Hell ( I apologize wishing all of the readers "Dhirgayuss bhava" ) we will end up by giving 100 times of cost what we can spend for a solar product by using our precious electricity.

-> As I read long back in my 5th slandered science text, Make use of CFL lambs instead of bulbs.
    During day time please make use of our windows, instead of closing that with a dark curtain (Of course it will look good, but your bill will not.. )

-> Use Wrinkle free dresses ( I don't have one, but I will :)), thus we can avoid Ironing. Use a bulk of dresses at a time instead of ironing it one by one (Better I should practice this....).

-> At the end for all our mothers and sisters (please watch bit lesser number of serials ........ :))

A small request to our respected Government, if you can replace all of your street lights with solar lights, I don't think that there is a necessary to think about load shutting for at least another "10 YEARS"

Hi readers at the end, I am not here to force you to do all of the above mentioned thoughts, It is up to you , Ball is in your court kick it for a golden goal or miss it.

One secret, being the writer I'm not following all of the above, but still I would love to follow some of the ideas like SOLAR BATTERY..

Thank You,
    Sibin

Hello,

It is very nice members are giving response on this forum. It is correct that with doing some effort we can save electricity. So we should take appropriate option to save electricity.

With Regards,

Gopal Singh Rawat.

Hi,

I live in Dubai and i feel that electricity is being wasted immensely in this place. I dont believe nor do i participate in Earth hour every year where electricity is being saved for an hour. I dont participate because i do it every day of the year and not just one hour in an entire year. Even on such a day all i see is that the absolutely unnecessary lights in front of a building are put off for that hour. I ask, what is the need for these lights anytime of the year? Just by switching off those such lights itself, so much electricity can be saved then why not do it daily? I've seen lights in skyscraper buildings(mainly offices) always switched on even when there is not a single person in an entire floor. The jusitification for this by the people involved is that the lights are kept on so that the building looks beautiful from outside. How absurd is that? This is done just because they want to imitate countries like US, Hongkong etc where buildings are always illuminated for its beauty. I feel disgusted when i see unnecessary usage of lights.

How come these people never think of the future of their children and grand children where electricity is definitely going to be a big problem. Cant we save electricity atleast where it is not at all needed so that our future generation can also enjoy such things during their times? Why should they be punished because of our wrong-doings?

For a small State like Kerala the capacity to produce the required electricity within the State is becoming difficult. hence it is the duty of every citizen to bring down the consumption of power. We are mainly depending on the hydro-electric power.

Water shortage will definitely affect its production. The reduction in the forest area is affecting the water storage capacity of the earth. Hence during summer the water level in the reservoirs get reduced affecting the electricity generation.

As an alternative small hydro electric projects (China has thousands of such projects) based on run-off water, not disturbing the forests can be tried.

At this point it was a wiser step on the part of the Electricity Board to replace the power bulbs with CFL lights. It is found that the Board could manage this summer without power cut just because of this step.
    So, every individual must switch over to CFL bulbs at the earliest, so that we can help reduce the power consumption.

Government must start encouraging the use of Solar energy where ever possible. In Kerala solar power will be available almost throughout the year, except, perhaps, a limited number of cloudy days. Solar energy must be made available to the needy in a subsidised rate.

Solid Waste is becoming a problem in almost all towns and cities. Technologies are available to convert these wastes into energy and manure. In a city some of the common areas (park, bus stand, hospital compound, etc.) can be made electrified through this waste management.

With the cooperation of people the local self Governments can take up these types of projects which will help generating non-conventional energy.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

It is heartening to note that so many of the members have given deep thought to the topic and come out with their valuable hints and tips tao save electricity.

If we follow these points whichare not at all difficult to practice we will save a lot of energy. Alongwith this each one of us whould make it a point to persuade at least one of our acquantences to follow suit and extend the chain further and further till an overwhelming majority, if not all, are made party to the program.

With Regards
    Ramanathan A R

Electricity is a boon of nature & Sciences.

It is very nice to Know that people are getting aware of Power Saving though they are busy out in their hectic life style, may be village or city life. Electricity is very much needed in human's life like our day to day schedule like our food, water, air etc. It is greatest invention of Science accompanied by our Mother nature, so save our nature by planting more & more trees so that their will be rain which converts automatically to power by our technology . One cannot work by himself alone getting aware but it the need of time that we all collectively act for saving Electricity.

Saving Electricity to a great extend can be achieved by our little effort & thinking by each one of us living in the society, that is like switching on to Solar inverters, the initial investment will be high, when compared to the situation like "No power" for next few days from now. One should buy good quality products in a view to reduce maintenance the Government should make people aware of such equipment & initiate them to use it & give some subside for the same. There are still some states in kerala the interior parts of Kannur were the people still awaits for Electricity connection like a drop of rain that the mother earth quench it greedily. They hope to live a decent life during dark hours of the day, I was taken by a pity when it was narrated to me by a old lady during a visit to hospital. She desires that she could eat her night gruel under a bulb & not in dark & her grand childrens can learn & play without getting hurt. Didn't this short story bring tears in your eyes, if yes than please follow the following rules so that we can help our Government to extend their Electricity connections in the interior parts of the state :

Switch off your fans, lights and other entertainment devices when they are not in use.

Cool your food before refriderating and cover the food items .

switch off the computer monitor if you won't use your computer for a small interval

Try to turn off all your electrical equipments for at least 1–2 hrs everyday during evening after 6pm. It will save Power.

Replace bulbs with CFLs.

Use AC but Power saving smart saver.

I onces again appeal my friends to help others also to enjoy the greatest boon of nature & technology.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.