You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Education in Kerala

Changes brought forth among students by the entertainment media.

It have been noticed that children compete among themselves to be an attraction of the class, to become the teacher's pet or to become the monitor of the class but is this becoming history? In modern days its been found that children inspired by the entertainment medias(films, serials, etc) shrink away from the classroom morals and live a life of carelessness and misbehavior.But among these, the most notable is the mockery they make over the popular one in class. Being popular is a dream of every child .But today they prefer to be the last bench-er encouraged by the entertainment medias, to be included in a gang speaking rudely, and trying to the most notorious person in the class. What the the good students faces is alienation in one's own class. No one wants be their friend and makes their image stained as that of someone who have committed a crime! They openly speak to such students "i don't like people who learn" . But this mentality of the students to prefer to be careless and COOL,( like they say) often affect the 'POPULAR' child's emotions badly. They start becoming introverts which is a threat to themselves.The classroom morals have this way undergone a sea-change. This has to change.

Students are becoming indifferent to their own future and find it disgusting to be the the "good guy". They are too easy over their lives and too careless in lifestyles.

What have caused such a bad change over? That I would blame on the entertainment media that acts like a drug and shows the students how to live as a notorious person.The films and serials that hit the screen recently focuses on heroes who are villainous in nature yet are the protagonists and idols of the youth! Gangs and heroes engaging in crimes yet get away with the glory of the truthful hero of one time cinema have greatly affected the minds of our youth. One such instance shocked Kerala recently when a boy inspired by his favorite hero Rambo brutally murdered his friend! This no one can claim as a positive influence over the children.

Serials and films focusing on the wayward lives of students grouping to form gangs and threatening their friends, engaging in life risking actions,having serious fight with gangs akin to their own and behaving like 'larger than life 'heroes and heroines have undoubtedly seeded the minds of the upcoming generations. They even dream of having a gun for themselves. Suddenly, their dream of being the good student have somehow changed into being the notorious one in class. That seems to children a credit to be the last bench-er who always gets punished, who comes in shabby attire and have the courage to threaten the "good-guys". The morals of our future generation is in question.
    You have scribbled so many things which make reading difficult and confusing. Try to be precise and to the point, so that commenting will be easier.
    One point you left is the present family set up. Nucleus families with one or two children also lead to these types of mental attitudes among children. Selfishness is becoming the rule of the day.
    Every one tries to hide in a shell of self.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

Many things were flashing at once when i started writing the article i was in great hurry to express it all in a go, even i feel like its been too much in a single go, I will surely detail each specifically in other articles. Your suggestion was valuable. Thank you sir

Thankyou for your share your valuable knowledge here. Actually I wanna say my own opinion about media and education. Sometimes we can develop our education by using media also such as television and newspaper. sometimes televisions are decreasing our education qualification. So its based on their equal mental capacity. We can easily improve our english communication and lots of general knowledge by television but we are always using for this media as a entertainment process. So, Students should utilize their opportunity then only they can enhance their knowledge in specified field.

Regards,
    SanthoshKumar.A

T M Sankaran SAYs

You have scribbled so many things which make reading difficult and confusing. Try to be precise and to the point, so that commenting will be easier.
    One point you left is the present family set up. Nucleus families with one or two children also lead to these types of mental attitudes among children. Selfishness is becoming the rule of the day.

Still she got 5 points & was not rejected why ? Who has checked this.
    Why a scribbled article get approved. This is a strong question on editor.

Films and serials are just for entertainment. It is sure that students can get influenced through these medias but we should look at its positives also. Good films will teach us how the life and the people around us is. They make us avare about the harms of all the things. There may be unnecessary things but children should be trained to grasp needed aspects. Over viewing will lead to problem so there should be a control also.

The changes in the entertainment media is mainly due to Globalisation. We are trying to adopt the western culture and loosing our moral values.However it greatly depends on each individuals that one has to choose the right path despite of all the pitfalls.Their lies the importance of good upbringing of the children by their parents and teachers.Nowadays,new generation movies is a boom in the film industry. Most of them are of low standard and the children are greatly influenced by this.

• Sign In to post your comments