You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Football

Football Mania in kerala

I used to play football in my childhood.

In my recent visit to Kerala - during the Football world cup matches. I have observed that in each and every house in my village, the vibrant youths were watching the football match in Television till late night, a sight nowhere I can see in north India.
    In the norther part of kerala, the fever is so high during those word cup football day's. even tiny villages had hoardings and cut outs of star players.

We found merchandise of football related have picked up in the market during those day's, where youths started wearing their respective supporting teams jersey in their daily walk.

Metro's like trivandrum and kochi had big screen's to relay the mathces inside the famous hotels, clubs and restaurants.

I have heard that some of the cinema halls also relayed the matches in that huge screen ?

Is that true, if so i would like to say, it's a not a mania in kerala but it's right at the blood-cells of every keralite.

Really Kerala Respects food-ball a lot, that's why they have started "Viva Kerala" with those huge teams.

Saleem
    Editor-SpiderKerala.Net

Both football and cricket had many fans in Kerala. Malabar is famous for its football fans. During world cup season, it seems like the world cup takes place in Malappuram or some places in malabar. It is som much popular there. The sevens football tournaments had a lot influence in this. But in other places, though there are many football fans, they lacks in number and charisma due to the lack of a powerful team from kerala. After Kerala police and FC Kochin, no other teams was there to win the hearts of malayalees. Even though there is Viva Kerala, their performance is not enough to attract more fans.
    The case of cricket is different, even though Kerala has not much to be happy in this field and attract the audience, India is the best team in the world and we have a lot of great players. Thus cricket attracted a lot of audiences and the Indians considered winning each tournament as winning a war. There was a great feeling of patriotism and it draw many audience and number of fans were increasing day by day. Kerala was also flowing with this. But now, we had got an IPL team and this will be turning out to be a great success and surely the number of cricket fans in kerala will be multiplying within a few months...

No doubt, Football is the common man's game, particularly in Kerala and Bengal. The predominance of Cricket has killed the spirit of the Football. The 90 minutes hectic activity on the ground has no parallel, of course barring Hockey - and it cannot be compared to the 5 days lazy game of Cricket. If the Corporate giants are sponsoring the Football from the budding stage itself, adopting few Football players, Kerala and in turn India will change the face of the Football. It is the money that matters. Any how, I have no iota of doubt that only Football is the most popular sport in Kerala followed by Cricket, Athletics and Hockey in order of preference.
    Sreekumar Nair
    Trichur

"Proud to be an indian"

NO & YES are two short words, which need a long thought..., most of the things we miss in life are due to saying NO too soon or YES too late. Have a great day.

When it comes to popularity, football will be the first choice of Keralites.
    But even the biggest football fans may not watch an Indain football team match in Television, and they may watch Sachin'n batting.The reason behind this; you cannot clap for Indian football team, it will always go waste.And the otherside, Indian cricket team is standing always top.
    The media and advertising company also behind the cricket team.
    Whatever it is the layman prefer football over cricket. They cannot watch TV from morning to evening. They will go for an evening football match especially in Malabar "Sevens football".
    Talking about kerala youths, they dont know who is playing in Indian football team or the names of the players but they are fans of foreign football clubs and they toil the night to watch their favourites teams match.
    To conclude, world's most popular game is also kerala's popular game.

Football is the most popular game in the world.So I think Keralites also had the same feeling towards Football.

I am from Areacode of Malappuram District.Our District is well known for its football fever.In Malappuram , Areacode is the place of footballers.We have many international players from our small village.U.Sharaf Ali ,IpS , the present MSP Commandant is the prominent among them.Now a number of budding children are there in different levels of Indian team.Football had dissolved in our blood.That is the only thing to say about it.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.