Resources » Famous Personalities » Malayalam Actresses
Sukumari Malayalam Actress - Profile and Biography
Sukumari malayalam actress profile and biography is given here.Padmashri Sukumari is a very popular Indian film actress who has been in the film industry for more than 50 years. She has also shown her talents as a dancer to the world. She has acted in many languages and have dubbed for almost all her characters. The legendary actress has passed away on 26th March 2013 due to cardiac arrest.
Padmashri S. Sukumari is a renowned stage artist and a film actress from Kerala. She was born to Madhavan Nair and Sathyabhama Amma in the year 1940 in Trivandrum, the capital city of Kerala. She started acting at a very young age, that is when she was just 10 years old. From then till today she is actively seen in the acting industry. She is a versatile actress who has acted in Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Bengali and Oriya movies. She was lucky enough to act along with almost all the actors in Malayalam film industry. A Malayalam magazine has reported that she is the only actress in the world who has appeared in such a lot of films.
Sukumari was married to A. Bhimsingh, a film producer, director and writer in Tamil film industry. They have a son by the name Suresh Bhimsingh. She became a widow when she was hardly 30 years old. Dr. Suresh Bhimsingh is married to Uma. Sukumari is the relative of the old Malayalam actresses Padmini, Lalitha and Ragini, popularly known as "Travancore Sisters". She is also related to Actress Shobhana.
On 26th March 2013, a Tuesday, Sukumari had to say bye to the entire world due to cardiac arrest. She was admitted in Global Hospital, Chennai after having fire burns. Further she had to undergo a plastic surgery. Her kidneys was affected during the burn and the hospital authorities did give good attention and care to her and they tried their best to avoid she getting any sort of infection. All their efforts where in vein when she got a cardiac arrest suddenly. She had to be in the hospital for hardly a month. Her greatest ambition was to die in front of a camera, which never happened. Finally, the Indian cinema had missed a great actress, their mother.
As Sukumari has started acting from childhood, she is familiar with all the steps and tricks of acting and that is what makes her outstanding. To add to it, this inborn talented actress, have also learned various forms of dance at a young age. This includes Kathakali, Keralanadanam, Bharathanatyam and so on.
Sukumari had acted in more than 2000 movies and is in the film industry for more than 50 years. None other artist have crossed this record so far. Her first movie was "Orarivu", a Tamil movie. Her first notable film in Malayalam film industry was "Chattakari", written by Thoppil Bhasi and directed by K. S. Sethumadhavan. Her character in this movie is of a mother and she had received many awards for this movie.
Sampoorna Ramayanam, Veerapandiya Kattabomman, Chattakkari, Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal, Acharam Ammini Osaram Omana, Shalini Ente Koottukari, Mamangam, Ponnum Poovum, Padayottam, Chillu, Sandhyakku Virinja Poovu, Sagaram Santham, Rugma, Prasnam Gurutharam, Kinnaram, Karyam Nissaram, Attakkalasam, Thathamme Poocha Poocha, Swanthamevide Bandhamevide, Poochakkoru Mookkuthi, Itha Innu Muthal, Ethirppukal, Athirathram, Anithichuvappu, Adiyozhukkukal, Aalkkoottathil Thaniye, Koodum Thedi, Boeing Boeing, Aram + Aram = Kinnaram, Rakkuyilin Rajassadasil, Dhwani, Chithram, Aranyakam, Oru CBI Diary Kurippu, Vadakkunokkiyantram, Ulsavapittennu, Ramji Rao Speaking, Kaalal Pada, Dasharatham, Chakkikotha Chankaran, Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha, Adharvam, Artham, Varthamana Kalam, Thalayanamanthram, Sasneham, Minda Poochakku Kalyanam, Kuruppinte Kanakku Pustakom, His Highness Abdullah, Kuttettan, Ee Thanutha Veluppan Kalathu, Uncle Bun, Ulladakkam, Advaitham, Soorya Gayathri, Midhunam, Kabuliwala, Injakkadan Mathai & Sons, Aayirappara, Golanthara Vartha, Pidakkozhi Koovunna Noottandu, Pakshe, Nirnayam, Mannar Mathai Speaking, Agnidevan, Mazhayethum Munpe, Aayiram Naavulla Ananthan, Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu, Samaantharangal, Prem Poojari, Kabhi Na Kabhi, Independence, Chandranudikkunna Dikhil, Alaipayuthey, Rakshasa Rajav, Mazhathullikkilukkam, Snehithan, Achuvinte Amma, Chanthupottu, Namma Gramam, Ponnar Shankar, Twenty 20, Yaaradi Nee Mohini etc are some of her popular movies.
She had got the opportunity to act as a daughter, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, warden and mother. She has the caliber and ability to be perfect in whichever roles assigned to her. Now she is all into mother roles, and she has a typical mom's face cut too. Even at this age, she is strong enough to move around and to act in movies. To find a substitute for her is practically impossible. May God give her the power to be healthy!
Awards and Achievements
The great actress was always been recognized and awarded for her outstanding performance and talents. Below, I have mentioned some of the various awards received by her.
- Kerala Film Fans Association Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1967.
- Madras Films Association has awarded her the Best Supporting Actress Award in 1971. (Movie : Thoraimugham)
- Madras Films Association has awarded her the Best Supporting Actress Award in 1974. (Movie : Chattakari)
- Kerala Film Fans Association Award has given a special award to her in 1974. (Movie : Chattakari)
- Kerala State Film Awards for the Best Supporting Actress in 1974. (Movie : Chattakari)
- Kerala State Film Awards for the Best Supporting Actress in 1979.
- Kerala Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1979. (Movie : Ezhu Nirangal)
- Kerala Film Fans Association Award for Best Character in 1980.
- Kerala Film Fans Association Award for Best Character in 1981.
- Kerala State Film Awards for the Best Supporting Actress in 1983 (Movies : Koodevide and Kariyam Nissaram)
- Kerala State Film Awards for the Second Best Actress in 1985 (Movies : Arappatta Kettiya Gramathil )
- Kerala Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1985. (Movie : Arappatta Kettiya Gramathil)
- Kalai Selvam Award from Government of Tamil Nadu in 1990.
- She was given the title of Kalaimamani in the year 1991-1992 by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Asianet award for the Best Supporting Actress in 1998. (Movie : Samandharangal)
- In the year 2003, she has received the Civilian Award, Padma Shri from the Government of India.
- Asianet Film Awards for the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.
- Asianet Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2006.
- Kala Ratnam Award of Kala Abu Dhabi in 2007.
- Atlas Critic Award 2009.
- Bahadoor Award in 2010.
- In 2011 she received National Film Awards for the Best Supporting Actress. (Movie : Namma Graamam, a Tamil movie)
- Chalachitra Pratibha by Kerala Film Critics Association in 2011.
- Janageeya Film Award by Thrissur Nagara Sabha.
Read related articles: Profile And Biography
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...