St john's Jacobite Syrian church Kavalangad Kavalangad, a small beautiful town in Ernakulam district is now one of the most picturesque place in Kerala with a number of religious institutions and education centres. This place is glorified by the presence of St John's Jacobite Syrian church Kavalangad since 1917.The Church is under the affiliation of Angamali diocese. It was established in 16th November 1917 by the effort of few Syrian Christian families who lived earlier here. In 1912 they got the permission for the construction of church from the Thiruvithamkoor government. For the construction of this divine church Thazhathoot Mathew, Puthethu Mathew, Kazhukodan Varkey, together donated 7 acre 90 cent property for church. Initially a Kurishpalli was established there in 16th November 1917 in the name of Mar Gheevarghese Sahada . It was a milestone in the construction of church. Later in 1956, it was reconstructed. People celebrate the festival of church on 16th November and the festival of Kurishpalli on April 24. Management committee members are selected for a period of 3 years.
The welfare of the devotees are taken care by the managing committee of church. At present the church has over 450 families which is divided in to 9 family units . Conviener, secretary, joint secretary, treasurer and children's secretary is selected from each unit. Prayer meeting is conducted on every Sunday evening. Sunday school, Youth Associations, family units , Vanithasamajam etc work efficiently under the church in order to keep the belief in God and for the welfare of the society. Youth Association started a candle stall and chitty in the year of 2014 for charity. Kudumbaunit directory was published in 2014 which include history of church, contact details of all families and information of major institutions and organizations near the church. The Church has been utilizing its various resources in charitable activities mainly in the fields of housing, health and education. A large amount of money is given in the form of different endowments by the church for the patients, poor peoples and those who suffer hardships. Education centers such as lower primary school, upper primary school and higher secondary school function under the auspices of church.
Education centers owned by church Earlier days it was very difficult here to get education. As a result of the effort taken by the inhabitants of this place, St John's upper primary school was constructed under the church in 1937. Later in 1939, in the same name, a lower primary school was constructed. Then after a long period , upper primary school was raised to high school. In 2000 in the platinum jubilee of church high secondary school was also constructed near the upper primary school with courses - Computer science, Biology and Humanities.
Chapels under the church 1) Mar Baselious Chapel, parekurish, Nellimattom - Built in 1995 in the land allotted by Chittayath Gheevarghese. Here the holy mass oblation is on every 2nd Saturday and the festival is celebrated on 30th September and 1st October.
2) St Maries Chapel Perumannur - Built in 15th May 2004. Festival is celebrated on May 15 and holy mass oblation is on every 3rd Saturday.
3) Mar Gregorious Chapel Kavalangad - Built in 1998. Festival is celebrated on November 2 and the divine holy mass oblation is on every 1st Saturday.
4) The Kurishpalli in the name of Mar Gheevarghese Sahada - Built in 1917. Festival is celebrated on April 24.
Family units under the church Church has a membership of 450 families which is divided in to 9 Kudumba units. Convener, secretary, joint secretary, treasurer and children secretary is selected from each unit.
1) Mar Gregorious Kudumbaunit Kavalangad
2) St Thomas Kudumbaunit Oprakavala
3) St John's Kudumbaunit Nellimatton
4) Mar Elias Kudumbaunit Pothukuzhi
5) St Maries Kudumbaunit Perumannur
6) St Steptans Kudumbaunit Kazhuthamattom
7) St George Kudumbaunit Millumpadi
8) Mar Baselious Kudumbaunit Nedumbara
9 )St peters Kudumbaunit Valachira
Address St John's Jacobite Syrian church
Nellimattom P O Kavalangad
District - Ernakulam
State - Kerala
Pin code - 686693
Phone number - 0485 - 2859664