Final Year B.A. Degree Examination, March 2009
Part – III (Group – VIII (a)) : ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
Main Paper – V : Phonetics Grammar and History of the English Language
Time : 3 Hours Max. Marks : 100
I. Write short notes on any five of the following in about 80 words :
1) Manner of articulation
2) Primary stress
3) Descriptive and prescriptive grammars
4) Dialect and register
6) Falling diphthongs
7) Declarative sentences
8) Conditional clause
9) The difference between vowels and consonants
10) Elision. (4×5=20 Marks)
II. a) Give short answers for ten of the following, each in about two sentences :
1) What is a free morpheme ?
2) Define an affricate
3) What is a semivowel ?
4) What is a stressed syllable ?
5) What is elision ?
6) Define tonic syllable.
7) What is phonemic transcription ?
8) What is idiolect ?
9) What are centring diphthongs ?
10) Describe the initial sound in the word "Europe", using a three term label.
11) What are the five inflectional forms of a regular English verb ?
12) Give an example of a closed syllable.
13) What is a cliche ? Give an example.
14) Describe dative shift.
15) Define synchronic description of language.
16) What are modal auxiliaries ?
17) What are reflexive pronouns ?
18) What is neologism ?
19) Define morph.
20) What is a complement ? (10×1=10 Marks)
b) Rewrite any ten of the following as directed :
1) I saw a film. It was very interesting. (Combine into a complex sentence)
2) I have never known him tell a lie. (Put into Passive voice)
3) Why he did it, remains still unknown. (Use the anticipatory "it" as the subject of the sentence)
4) Mary is taller than John. (Use the positive degree of comparison)
5) She speaks very well. (Use the appropriate question tag)
6) It was a very difficult problem. He could not solve it. (Combine the sentence
7) I do not know English I do not know Hindi. (Combine using "either .... or")
8) I have never heard such a nonsense. (Use "never" sentence initially)
9) We have had a _______ poor weather this year. (Use "fairly" or "rather"
10) He said, "where can I get reservation form". (Rewrite in the indirect speech) -3- 1198
11) I shall buy the book from some other place. (Rewrite using "else")
12) Having violated the rules of the school the Head master expelled him from
the school. (Correct the sentence)
13) I cannot play in the match as I _______ my foot (injure). (Insert the correct form of the auxiliary in the sentence)
14) Siam will be old enough to go to school _________next academic year.
(Fill in the blank with appropriate articles)
15) Prem has been down ________ malaria________ the last one week.
(Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions) (10×1=10 Marks)
III. Write short notes on any five of the following in about 80 words.
1) Language as an arbitrary system
3) The great vowel shift
4) Synchronic viz. diacronic study of language
6) French loan words in English
7) Impact of printing press on the spelling of English
8) Old English grammar
9) Indo-European family of Languages
10) Celtic influences on Old English. (5×4=20 Marks)
IV. Write an essay on any one of the following :
1) The contributions made by Chaucer, Spencer, Milton, Pope and Wordsworth to
the making of English.
2) How do " Grimm's Law" and "Verner's Law" account for consonant change in
3) Different kinds of Umlaut in English.
4) The socio-political and economic forces which made English a global Language.
V. a) Transcribe the following passage phonemically and mark the stress
Pol. Do you know me, my lord ?
Ham. Excellent well; you are a fishmonger
Pol. Not I, my lord!
Ham. Ay, sir, to be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.
Pol. That's very true, my lord. 10
b) Transcribe ten of the following words phonemically and mark the primary stress :
3) perfect (adjective)
4) import (verb)
13) Pick pocket
14) engine driver
Kerala university degree previous question papers
More articles: Exam Question Papers