What is Mobile Number Portability?
Mobile Number Portability or MNP is the new technical innovation by which a customer can retain his/her existing mobile phone number while changing to another operator. Mobile Number Portability is active in India/Kerala from 20th January 2011. This decision is taken by TRAI. With MNP, customers can go for any other operator for those mobile services, which are good for them. Mobile Number Portability got a warm welcome in India from both customers and operators. According to the operators, this will be a new step to "liberate" telecom users and will give them more power.
How to Change Your Operator through Mobile Number Portability
The process of changing your number from old number to new number is very easy to follow. Customers are required to follow the following steps and guidelines to change the existing number to new mobile number:
1. Send an SMS from your existing mobile number to 1900 in the given format:
PORT Your Mobile Number
• You have to give the existing mobile number after PORT.
• No need to add +91 before your 10 number existing mobile number.
• PORT is not case sensitive
• Keep spaces between PORT and your existing mobile number.
• Eg. PORT 1234567890
2. You will receive a reply to the SMS containing a "Unique Porting Code" (UPC). The reply SMS will also mention the validity of your Porting Code. This is usually range from 15 to 30 days.
3. Next step is to get the SIM Card of new operator. SIM Cards of almost all the operators are available in the market. Get the application form, fill all the details. Customers are required to submit their photograph, identity documents and the unique "Porting Code "received as SMS.
• Customers have to do this step before the expiry date of "Porting Code".
• If you are applying for the MNP after the validity ends, the unique "Porting Code" will expire and you will have to do all the steps again.
• New operator will charge Rs. 19 for this service.
4. The new operator will contact the existing operator after they receive the application form. If your account is devoid of any debts and balances, the existing operator will approve your application for MNP.
• Postpaid users have to clear off all the existing payments.
5. Customers will receive an SMS from new operator pointing the time and date for porting. This will be done within four days after the first SMS. This is the condition set by TRAI. You will get a new SMS from the new operator confirming the porting.
• This will take up to 7 days.
• In Jammu and Kashmir and Assam, it may take more than 15 days.
• Your mobile won't be alive up to 2 hours during the time of porting.
6. Changing of existing number is available only once in every 90 days.
What to Look at Before Selecting a New Operator
There are lots of areas where one should focus before opting for a new connection. Let us look who is the best MNP operator in Kerala with different criteria and offers they adopt in various fields.
• Network coverage
In Kerala, IDEA is having a wide range of network coverage. Vodafone, BSNL, AIRTEL and TATA Docomo come after IDEA. IDEA, VODAFONE, BSNL is stronger because they use 800 Mhz. AIRTEL and DOCOMO use weaker 1800 mHZ.
Tariff is the most important consideration we have been giving for our mobile operators. Everybody is looking at the SMS offers and call charges. In Kerala, TATA DOCOMO comes first with exciting offers. TATA DOCOMO has great plans for local calls, STD/ISD and SMS.
• Internet Connectivity
BSNL is the leading internet connectivity provider with 3G connectivity. TATA DOCOMO has launched their 3G services in India. TATA DOCOMO provides good plans compared to BSNL, but are having weaker network coverage.
• Customer Care Calls
VODAFONE, AIRCEL, AIRTE and IDEA are charging for customer care calls. This is a great burden. They are charging 50ps/3 minutes. But TATA DOCOMO, RELIANNCE etc are not charging for the customer care calls.
MNP Operators Helpline Numbers
• Vodafone MNP Helpline Number: 1800-1234567
• Aircel MNP Helpline Number: 98020 98020
• IDEA MNP Helpline Number: 1800-270-0000
• TATA Docomo MNP Helpline Number: 1800-266-0000
More articles: Mobile Number Portability in Kerala