Kerala PSC HSA ENGLISH MODEL EXAM PAPER
Marks : 100 Time : 2 hours
Section - A
Q.1-30 Answer all the questions. Each question carries one mark.
1. Whose essay On Myself has been hailed as the perfect example of what a personal essay should be ?
2. Which poem of Dryden was written in celebration of Charles II's Restoration ?
3. How many books are there in Paradise Regained?
4. Who is the hero of Paradise Regained ?
5. The journey in Pilgrim's Progress is undertaken in ––––.
6. Who was the first to call the age of Pope and Johnson as "the Augustan Age" ?
7. Which poetic work of Thomas Gray has been hailed as a mark of transition between the classical School and the
romantic School ?
8. ––– was the famous imaginary old man of Addison's Essays.
9. Besides Marlowe, who else wrote a tragedy by the name Tamerlaine ?
10. The French dramatist who influenced Restoration comedy was ––––
11. Porphyro and Madeline are the lovers in –––
12. The dream poem 'Kubla Khan' was published in –––––
13. Who said that he had a "Smack of Hamlet" in himself ?
14. Apologia Provita Sua is the spiritual autobiography of ––––
15. Who advocated "disinterestedness" in literary criticism ?
16. Pip is a character in ––– written by Dickens.
17. The longest poem in the English language written by Robert Browning is ––––––
18. Name the 20th century poet who translated, the Bhagwad Gita in collaboration with Swami Prabhavanandan.
19. ––– is the protagonist in Osborne's Look Back in Anger.
20. Language which seems smooth, pleasant and musical to the ear is termed as –––––
21. The seven line, iambic pentameter stanza rhyming ababbcc is called ––––
22. In Julius Caesar and in ––– Shakespeare is said to have depicted Romans better than the Roman writers themselves
23. ––– used the term the 'Theatre of the Absurd'.
24. John Bunyan belongs to ––– Century.
25. The Battle of the Books, discusses the conflict between ––––
26. Hardy's title 'Far from the Madding Crowd' is taken from a poem by ––––
27. According to Aristotle, the least essential part of tragedy is –––
28. When was Johnson's Dictionary published ?
29. Johnson's phrase, "fatal Cleopatra" refers to Shakespeare's ––––
30. Metaphysical conceit is basically ––––
Section - B
Answer all the questions. Each question carries 5 marks. Essays should not exceed two pages.
1. Write a note on Dickens as a social reformer.
2. Renaissance in the history of English literature.3. What are the salient features of Restoration comedy.
4. "Twentieth Century Poetry is predominantly Pessimistic." Discuss
5. The recent and current tendencies in English language.
6. The trends in modern criticism.
7. Consider 'Andrea Del Sarto' as a dramatic monologue.
8. 'Macbeth' as a Shakespearean tragedy.
9. 'Poetic drama' in the 20th century.
PART - II
Section - A
Q. 1-10. Select the correct answer from the four alternatives given. All questions carry one mark
1. ––– report is regarded as the magnacarta of teachers
a) Simon Commission
b) Kothari Commission
c) Macaulay's minutes
d) Hunter Commission
2. The programme of compulsory primary education in India was initiated by
a) Gokhale b) Gandhiji
c) Nehru d) Lord Rippon
3. An objective type test is
a) very easy
b) mind boggling
c) time consuming
d) difficult, needs thorough knowledge
4. In Recall tests
a) memory is tested b) expertise is tested
c) quickness is tested
d) None of these
5. The concept of operant conditioning was developed by
a) Piaget b) Skinner
c) Gardner d) Truman Kelly
6. The causes of backwardness in children are
a) intellectual defects
b) sensory defects
c) temperamental defects
d) All of these
7. Micro teaching was propagated by
a) Dwight W. Allen b) Ned Flanders
c) Skinner d) Keller
8. One can be a good teacher, if he
a) has genuine interest in teaching
b) knows how to enforce discipline
c) knows his subject
d) has good expression
8. A new teacher, to start with will have to
a) enforce discipline in the class.
b) establish rapport with the students.
c) cut jokes with the students.
d) tell the students about his qualifications.10. The essential role of the teacher in a class room is to
i) give information
ii) motivate students to learn.
iii) develop learning competencies
iv) prepare them for writing examinations.
v) enforce discipline
a) i, ii and iii b) ii, iii & iv
c) iii, iv and v d) i, iv and v
Section - B
Q. 11-13 : Answer all the questions. Each question carries 5 marks.
11. Comment on the present system of examination.
12. Merits and demerits of Trial and Error method.
13. The part played by mother tongue in teaching of English.
(3 × 5 = 15)
(1 × 30 = 30)