You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Peacocks are in front of houses

A new trend is noticed here in Palakkad area. Several peacocks are seen in and around the compounds of houses, which were very rare before a few years back.

In front of my house, when I was sitting there and reading, I saw three peacocks, two males and one female, walking slowly, not worried about the presence of a man, and climbing over the mango tree there. From there it flew to another tree which was taller one. They spend their nights there and in the morning go in search of food.

Loss of forests are perhaps a reason for their changing the habit.
    When you mentioned about the incident, i was reminded of similar happenings in side the city of Ahmedabad. It was bout 4-5 years ago. I went to my sister-in-law's house in the City of Ahmedabad. The flat was in cluster of apartments. Every day some 3-4 peacocks male and female used to come there. The people in the flats used to throw food items to them.

After the flat there is guest house of the Government. That compound is having several families of peacocks. they come on the road and cross. Just across the road the Sardar Patel Memorial building is there. The memorial is in a huge compound with several trees. There there several flocks of peacocks. Several colonies of peacock. At that time I was surprised to find them in a big city like Ahmedabad.

After about 2 years I went to my niece at Coimbatore. Her house is very near about 5-6 k ms from the Marutha Malai Sri Murugan Temple.In that area I could see several peacocks. I could see their dances both at Ahmedabad and Coimbatore.

Now when you mention about spotting them in Palakkad I am not very much surprised. These all show that the population of peacock is increasing by leaps and bounds and they have to go to cities for their food. It may be a population explosion of peacocks. However, I also observe that the peacock feathers are available in plenty in almost all the places. Peacock is National Bird and is not supposed to be harmed. How so much of the feathers are available has to be investigated.

With Regards
    Ramanathan A R

Our national bird peacock is always nice to see and they are beautiful. Now peacock has started to come in villages and towns from forest in search of food. I have also experienced the presence of peacock in my college hostel. Many of them can be seen behind the college hostel at morning.
    Nijin
    Forum Editor SPK

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.