You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Onam -Messages & Memories

Dear Friends

We all know the story and tradition of Onam -the biggest harvest festival of Kerala.We are lucky to have a festival to make us aware of the need for unity and experience the joy of togetherness.There are some messages behind onam celebrations .Every aspect of onam - 'onapookkalm', 'onasadya ' ,boat race and the various games-points to the need of unity and the joy of oneness.More over 'pookkalam ' and onasadya' reflects the beauty of unity in diversity( which is the beauty of INDIA) and nice treats for eyes and tounge.In an inspiring speech Matha Amruthanandamayi told that the message of onam is to forget all differences and make life joyful.It is from the 'one 'that we all have come,and it is back into that 'one'that we all must merge.According to her the 'tree swings' set during onam make for a good metaphor for life.Demonstrating how after every rise there is a fall she is telling no matter how high we rise,we eventually have to come back down.When we see everything in life as a game ,we will be equally joyous in rise and fall.We will never fall apart when failure comes our way.This is of great relevance in present time.

Now in middle age ,whenever festivals come mind is going back to my childhood.In a beautiful village near Vaikom rich in rivers and paddy fields I still remember my childhood onam days with my parents and other relatives in a basically agricultural and joined family.Now as time and phases of life change , situations also change.Keeping some colourful pictures in mind as everlasting memories ,I am getting ready for another onam (not so glorious as before) from 'The City of Gold' to 'God's Own Country'.

Best Wishes & Regards

Sujatha
    Yes, Onam is the festival of memories too.. Onam gives the feeling of uniqueness in our minds. Everyone becomes happy when Onam season comes. It is the festival of flowers, joy, nature, wellness etc. Onam is celebrated by every Malayalee without religion or caste difference.
    That is the main importance of Onam.. And remember "Kaanam Vittum Onam Unnanam.."
    Happy Onam to all..

Hi,
    Onam is harvest festival of Kerala peoples.Every peoples celebrates Onam very happily with forgetting all sorrows.During Onam days we remember us King Mahabhali's golden era.More over each and every peoples expect arrival Of Mahabali with preparing Pookalam.More Onam give opportunity to get together all family members.So it hill award number of sweet moments in life.
    Happy Onam Wishes to All.
    With regards,
    Ajmal

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.