You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Latest Kerala News

Bridge once connected Kochi and Malabar collapses

The 'Cochin Bridge', estimated to be 87 years old, connecting erstwhile Malabar district of Madras Province and the princely State of Cochin, across the Bharathapuzha at Shoranur (presently connecting Palakkad and Thrissur districts of Kerala) collapsed on Wednesday. Since a newly constructed bridge is serving the traffic since 2003, this bridge was closed for traffic and hence no casualty is there.

This old bridge started operating first as a Railway bridge and later in a combined form until new railway bridge was constructed. Before the formation of Kerala State, a toll was in operation to check the vehicles as part of liquor prohibition on one side.
    I have the nostalgia of crossing the old bridge. I used to get down at Cheruthurithi from bus and used to walk the narrow bridge. While going toward Shoranur side, I used to just look at the house on the right on the bank of Bharatha Puzha thinking that to be the house of Vallathol Narayana Menon. Even now I am not sure whether it is his house or why I imagained it to be house. Though I was an acquaintance of Vallathol Kumaran a nephew of the great poet I have not asked him nor I tried to meet the great poet. Kumaran was a drama artist in the drama troupe of Paryanapatta Namboodiri and others.
    With Regards
    Ramanathan A R

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.