You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Incresing road accident deaths in kerala, what is the reason?

Total 2,132 people were killed in road accidents in the state during the last 6 months. As per the data prepared by the state police department total 276 people were dying in Thrissur city limit and 220 in rural area. The death rate crossed 200 in Ernakulam-267, Thiruvanthapuram-235, Alappuzha-200 and Palakkad-208. The victims were between 22 years and 55 years.
    As many as 11, 892 bike riders met with an accident. The accidents due to KSRTC buses are 673 and due to private buses 1952. There were 1186 accidents due to Lorries, 3553 by auto, 6706 by car, jeep, and mini lorry. The majority of accidents occurred during daytime.
    The main reasons that led to accidents were the bad condition of roads, new model/unstructured vehicles, over speeding, drunken driving and careless driving. The report says among the 17,912 accident cases, 17402 were caused due to reckless driving. 49 accidents were caused due to drunken driving.
    It is a fact that we can not pass any of the Highways in Kerala without seeing an accident. Even today when I was coming from Nedumbassery to Edappally, I saw two vehicles stopped on the way due to an accident.
    Also, I saw Police people on the road side,stopping the vehicles and checking the drivers whether they had consumed alcohol or not.

These two correlate well. Kerala is topping in alcohol consumption also it tops in motor accidents.

Another major reason one can attribute for these high number of accidents is reckless driving without any road sense. Traffic discipline something which is missing among the drivers, especially the bus, mini lorry (tipper)and two wheeler drivers.
    Another point that is to be considered is bad road condition.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.