You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Events

It is time to celebrate Deepawali

On coming Tuesday, 13th, people all mover the country are going to celebrate Deepavali. Even outside India in several countries this festival, the success of good over the evil, is celebrated. Sweets are distributed, crackers are used highly and other celebrations are held.
    At the same time, this is not a festival in Kerala. Only the non-Keralites in Kerala celebrate this. Original Kerala people do not celebrate this. Why it is so, especially when people of almost all other States in India celebrate this ?
    I just cant believe the festival of Diwali have been shown such extend of indifference by you sir!! How can take to your heart that it is not a festival of Kerala too!!Hindu mythology is something for everyone who follows the religion with no partiality between south or north.Let me try to explain...

Diwali is celebrated not only in India but also in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, Netherlands, Fiji, Africa, Canada, Mauritius, New Zealand, UK and even the US. Of course the presence of Hindus is one unavoidable reason. It is celebration of hearts depicting the victory of good over the evil, a celebration of relations and love.

The celebration mainly focuses on different myths where the dates coincide with each other. The Birth of Goddess Mahalakshmi symbolized by the myrth and the lights that we kindle the day to symbolize the prosperity of a home which is why the purchase of new utensils and gold is believed to be an inevitable part of the celebrations.The festival also celebrates the destruction of the demon Narakasura by Lord Krishna which is the victory of good over evil.The other myth is of Lord Rama returning with his wife Sita and brother Lakshmana after destroying the demon King Ravana who have stole away his wife. The return as we know is from Sri Lanka to Ayuodhya. The role of Kerala in the festival is at this point when Rama , Sita, and Lakshmana are welcomed and shown the way at night with every houses lit with small Diyas contributing to the beauty of the night. This is the reason why the festival is celebrated in each state a different day. It is simple logic as the couple and Laxmana travel from South to North they reach each place a different day. The last reason that contribute to the festival is the return of Pandavas from exile and hence the reason of showing the way with lighted lamps as well as the return of relations back home. The festival hence symbolically depicts the prosperity of the house, binding of relations with love and care which ensures our protection from evil.

Each religion has its own other reasons for the festival.. Jains celebrate the festival to celebrate the birth of Mahavira and consider it as a New Year. Buddhist celebrate Diwali as the day Emporer Ashoka converted to Buddhism. For Sikhs the day is a memory of their spiritual leader Hargobind's release from prison and also honor the construction of their Holy city of Amritsar. The epic of Ramayana is also the basis of the celebratio of the festival in places like Thailand and Singapore where the epic is modified according to their culture.

When i Was in pala kottayam i cannot even find a cracker shop on diwali day.

Dear friends,
    Happy Diwali to all members. Enjoy with your family and friends. Thanks Gayathri.Jayakumar for your useful history for sharing with spider kerala.net members.

Regards
    SULTHAN

Sultan,

Just doing my little share of duties. That is what we do here in Spiderkerala, share what we know.

I am not showing any indifference towards Deepavali, as you mentioned Gayathri Madame. I was just giving you the information that no celebrations were seen on this day in my place. I am now 67+ and was born and brought up in a place within the present Palakkad district. I have not seen this celebration there. I started living at Ernakulam at the age of 25, after getting a job here, here also during those days I could not see any notable celebration, except among the Tamil Brahmins. So I was just sharing this and inviting comments why it has not been a festival of Kerala in general. (By the by I know all these myths behind these celebrations).
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

I am terribly sorry if I have offended you sir I was just sharing the myth. And honestly I thought this was a festival celebrated everywhere alike. Even though we don't celebrate with crackers accompanying the diyas in many places of Kerala I have often seem almost every Hindu houses celebrate Diwali in Kerala ( In places I have been). I never knew it was not celebrated in parts of Palakkad.

• Sign In to post your comments