You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Indian coffee house, welcomes you

THE TASTE OF KERALA – INDIAN COFFEE HOUSE

Many hotels come , many gone in the wind of competition, some hotels succeed. Many changes in hotel industry come but still Indian coffee house being the personal favorites of common peoples. The coffee Boards commenced in the year 1942 who found the Indian Coffee Houses in our county. As the name implies it become the taste of India, Now it has operating in 11 states. The story of Indian Coffee House begins after the decision of Central Government to close the Coffee Board because of Huge loss of Board. A.K.G ( A.K. Gopalan) one who understood the issues faced by the employees because of the closure of Coffee Board. With the complete support of Prime Minister Javaharlal Nehru he incorporated Indian Coffee Board Workers Co-operative Society and on 27th October 1957 nation's first employees coffee house started its operations. In Kerala's first coffee house started on 8th March 1958. In Kerala Now under the control of two Societies 74 Coffee House are operating, out of above 20 coffee houses are under the control of society which situated at Kannur and the areas of operations from Palakkad to Kasargod. The second society holds 54 Coffee houses and it operated in the areas from Thrissur to Thiruvananthapuram .600 employees and 2400 employees worked in Kannur and Thrissur Society respectively.

From the beginning of coffee House, the taste of Coffee, Masala Dosa and Vada are the same . No change are felt by customers. The policy followed by the coffee house before appointing a cook is interesting , the existing cook will give training to new one before getting appointed. The success behind the Indian Coffee House is every employees are the owners its self. The co- operation of employees are done the role of owners. It is a good system of management of Coffee House , the employees are doing the management.

From the beginning of Indian Coffee House, it followed some policies and values in their operations. Indian Coffee House never uses freezer hence vegetables , fish , meat and every thing uses freshly purchased and do not use old items under any situation. The dishes which older than 3 hours will not served except cutlet which serves up to 6 hours. The Indian coffee House serves food more than last 50 years , in the tough competition the coffee house still in the industry. Hopefully it will go long…..
    It was in the year 1962, I tasted some dishes (Masala dosa) from Indian Coffee House (ICH, we used to call it later)at Thrissur. Then I was a student studying for my degree at St.Thomas' College.Everyday, in those days I used to have lunch from some hotels.Hence ICH became my favorite place. Coffee of ICH has no substitute, it is unique. Once you are used to it, you get addicted to it. Similar is the case with Masala dosa. No other hotel has a masala of this combination.
    After completing my degree at Thrissur I got admitted to a Department of Kerala University for my PG programme. The Department was at Palayam, Thiruvananthapuram.There also ICH welcomed me and I with my friends became a frequenter there.This continue for more than two years, till our Department was shifted to Karyavattom, about 15 km away from the city. On certain days we used to come to city, then a visit to ICH would be on the schedule.
    After the Thiruvanamthapuram days I got employed at Ernakulam. ICH at the Jos junction became a centre again, even now I go there if happens to be in the city.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member, SPK

• Sign In to post your comments