Kerala Fish Biriyani Recipe
Ingredients of Fish Biriyani
Fish (king mackerel or prawn) - 400gm
Oil - for frying
Basmati rice - 3cups
Water - 51/2cups
Fennel seeds - 3 tea spoon
Cloves - 4
Cardamom - 8
Cinnamon - 4 small pieces
Nut Meg (jathykka) - small piece
Onion - 4 large
Tomato - 2
Ginger - 1piece (1inch length)
Garlic - 3flakes
Green chilly - 6-10
Salt - to taste
Ghee - 100gm
Lemon juice r vinegar - 1table spoon
Kashmiri chilly powder - 1 table spoon
Turmeric powder - 1 tea spoon
Coriander powder - 3 tea spoon
Pepper powder - 1 tea spoon
Garam masala powder - 2 tea spoon
Coriander leaves - 1tea cup
Cashew nuts and kismis - to garnish
Preparation of Kerala fish biriyani
1) Marinate fish pieces with lemon juice, chilly powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Keep for 30 minutes.
2) Slice one onion and keep separately.
3) Slice tomatoes and remaining three onions.
4) Chop the coriander leaves, ginger, garlic and green chilly.
5) Heat oil in a fry pan. Fry marinated fish. Drain and keep aside.
6) After frying, in the same oil, add 3 sliced onions and sauté for 5minutes.Add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies. Add salt as required. Add sliced tomatoes. Add fried fish and cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes in low flame. Masala for Biriyani is ready.
1) Wash basmati rice and drain.
2) Heat a pan, add ghee.
3) Add remaining sliced onion and fry till it changes to golden brown. Drain and keep separately.
4) In the same ghee fry cashew nuts and kismis and drain.
5) To the ghee add whole spices fry for 5 seconds. Add basmati rice and fry for 30 seconds. Add water and cook till water evaporates.
1) Divide the fish masala in three parts and rice in 2 parts.
2) Take a heavy bottom vessel and coat the bottom of vessel with a thin film of ghee.
3) Layer with first part of fish masala. Next layer is first part of rice. Add some chopped coriander leaves above the layer. Next is second part of fish masala. Layer with remaining rice and add fish masala all over it. Add remaining chopped coriander leaves all over it. When you layer the Biriyani keep all fish pieces in the top layer. It will make serving easy.
6) Cover the entire vessel with foil (to ensure that full steam stays in), then close the lid tightly. Place a weight (or a vessel filled with water) over this vessel. Cook for 20 minutes in very low heat.
Take out the fish pieces and keep separately.
Mix the masala and rice using a fork or spoon with out pressing the rice.
Add the fish pieces that kept separately.
Garnish each plate of Biriyani with fried onion, cashew nuts and kismis.
More articles: Biriyani Recipes