Below are the ingredients we will be using to make Unnakai,
Ripe plantains - 4
Grated coconut – 1 1/2 Cup
Sugar – 1/2 Cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Chopped cashew nuts –1/2 Cup
Raisins –1/4 Cup
Ghee - 1tbsp
Oil - Use as required to fry.
Below are the step by step procedure to make Unnakai.
1. Choose ripe but stiff Plaitains.
2. Steam the plaintains till soft.
3. Add cardamom powder and Mash the cooked banana with hand.
4. In a pan heat ghee and add cashews, raisins and Coconut.
5. Add sugar into that and mix well till coconut become light brown.
6. Make small balls out of mashed plaintains.
7. Apply little Ghee in your hand otherwise this will stick in your hand.
8. Press the ball with your fingers keeping the plaintain inside the other palm.
10. Fill in the coconut mixture and close and roll in oval shape.
11. Heat oil in a kadai.
12. Deep fry this unnakai at medium heat till brown.
13. Serve hot
NB: You can also do shallow frying
More articles: Kerala Recipies