Want go abroad for higher studies with scholarship?
Learn more about opportunities to
How to make Daal-Palak in Kerala style
: 5 (
In this article, I am explaining how North Indian dish Daal-Palak can be made in Kerala style which resembles a traditional dish. I have presented it in a simple way which blends both North and South Indian flavours.
Daal-Palak in Kerala style
There exists a myth that Palak-Daal is a North Indian dish. But we, Keralites
can make it our own traditional dish by changing that recipe to Kerala Style.
While North Indians use Masoor daal for its preparation we can provide an alternative with our own Sambaar daal(Toor daal). Of course Masoor daal can also be used. An easy method of its preparation is given below.
• Palak 1 cup
• Toor daal or masoor daal 1 cup
• Shallots finely chopped 1/2 cup
• Green chillies sliced 2 or 3
• Garam masala powder 1 tsp
• Pepper powder 1/4 tsp
• Cumin seeds 1 tsp
• Tomato sliced 1
• Ginger paste 1/2 tsp
• Garlic paste 1/2 tsp
• Thick coconut milk 1 cup
• Thin coconut milk 2 cups
• Dry fried coriander powder 2 tbspn
• Kasuri methi(Optional) a pinch
• Curry leaves a little
• Coriander leaves to garnish
• Salt to taste
• Butter or coconut oil for seasoning
Method of preparation
1. Pour thin coconut milk in a pressure cooker. Add daal, palak, green chillies and salt. After the first whistle, cook it in low flame for 3-4 more minutes.
2. Pour oil or ghee in a pan. When it is heated add cumin seeds and saute for a moment. Then add ginger-garlic paste and fry till it is slight brown.
3. Add cut shallots and curry leaves and fry till it becomes golden brown.
4. Add freshly cut tomato and cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder and kasuri methi.
6. Add a little water, close the lid and simmer it for 3 minutes.
7. Add boiled daal-palak mixture to it, stir well and close the lid. Wait for some minutes till it becomes thick.
8. Add thick coconut milk and let it just to boil.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Your traditional Daal-Palak with North Indian flavour is ready to serve. It tastes best with roti, chappathi or naan.
Beetroot with onion and cumin.
Malabari style Jeeragam Chicken curry
Kerala style Varutharacha Kadala curry
Kerala style Fish Pickle
Naadan Fish Molee curry
Kerala special dessert - Pazha Pradhaman
Malabari prawns (chemmeen) curry with coconut milk
Read related articles:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "How to make Daal-Palak in Kerala style"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Awards & Gifts
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Last 7 Days
Copyright © SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt Ltd., Kochi, India. All Rights Reserved.