Date of Birth : 31st October 1943
Current age : 68
Hometown : Kumarakom, Kottayam
Nickname : Kunjoonju
Constituency in Kerala : Puthuppally in Travancore district
Political status : Leader of Opposition Party in Kerala
Political party : Indian National Congress
Wife's name : Mariamma Oommen
Father's name : K.O Chandy
Mother's name : Baby Chandy
Languages known : Malayalam, English and Hindi
Schooling information : St George High School, Puthuppally
College information : CMS College, Kottayam; SB College, Changanassery; Government Law College, Ernakulam
Educational qualifications : B.A, L.L.B
Children : One son and two daughters
Oommen Chandy is a politician of Kerala state in India and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC). He has been representing the Puthuppally constituency of Travancore district since past few decades. Currently, he is the leader of the opposition party in Kerala. He was the 19th Chief Minister of Kerala and was in power from 2004 to 2006. Oommen Chandy is also a trade unionist and is the leader of many INTUC unions. He has been elected as the chief minister of Kerala four times. It was under Chandy's leadership that the UDF (United Democractic Front) achieved many victories in Lok Sabha Election 2009 and Local Body Election 2010. This marked as the first time that UDF got a position of control in the local elections. He is fondly known as Kunjooju by his loyal followers.
Oommen Chandy's Early Life and Background
Oommen Chandy's father's name is K.O Chandy and mother's name is Baby Chandy. He hails from a Jewish-Orthodox family. He became active in politics from his school days where he was an activist of Kerala Students Union (KSU). While studying at St George High School, Chandy was the unit president of KSU and further became the State President of KSU. He completed his college graduation from CMS College, Kottayam and SB College, Changanassery. He also has a Bachelors degree in Law (LLB) from Government Law College, Ernakulam. The people of Kerala maintain a high regard of Oommen Chandy because of his simplicity, helpful behaviour and clean track record. His wife's name is Smt Mariamma Oommen who is a retired Canara bank officer. The couple has three children, two daughters Maria and Achu and one son Chandy Oommen. Even through his busy schedule of shouldering the whole state's responsibility, he still manages to spend quality time with his family.
Oommem Chandy's Political life
1. President of All Kerala Balajana Sakhyam in 1961.
2. State General Secretary of KSU in 1965.
3. President of Kerala Students Union (KSU) from 1967 to 1969.
4. President of the State Youth Congress in 1970.
5. Member of Legislative Assembly (1st time) in 1970.
6. Member of Legislative Assembly (2nd time) in 1977. Also took charge as Minister for Labour from 1977 to 1978.
7. Member of Legislative Assembly (3rd time) in 1980. Also took charge as Minister for Home from 1981 to 1982.
8. Member of Legislative Assembly (4th time) in 1982.
9. Member of Legislative Assembly (5th time) in 1987.
10. Member of Legislative Assembly (6th time) in 1991. Also took charge as Minister for Finance from 1991 to 1994.
11. Elected as the Convener for UDF in 1991.
12. Member of Legislative Assembly (7th time) in 1996.
13. Chairman of Public Accounts Committee from 1996 to 1998.
14. Member of Legislative Assembly (8th time) in 2001.
15. Elected as the Convener for UDF in 2001.
16. Elected as the Congress Legislative Party Leader by AICC in 2004.
17. Chief Minister of Kerala from 2004 to 2006.
18. Member of Legislative Assembly (9th time) in 2006. Also took charge as Opposition Leader in 2006.
Oommen Chandy's address and contact details
Vikas Bhavan P.O,
Thiruvananthapuram - 695033
Tel - 0471-2318330/ 0471-2518155
Email - email@example.com
Website - www.oommenchandy.net