Resources » Famous Personalities » Kerala Sports Personalities
Anju Bobby George Profile & Biography - Facebook page of Anju George included
Anju Bobby George is a famous Indian athlete who was born in the state of Kerala. She has made history in Indian sports and has brought a lot of glory to India with her innumerable achievements in athletics. Read this article to know all the information about Anju Bobby George along with her profile, family life, face book page, achievements and awards won by Anju George.
Full Name : Anju Bobby George
Date of Birth : 19th April 1977
Hometown : Changanassery, Kerala
Father's name : K.T Markose
Schooling education : CKM Koruthode School
College education : Vimala College, Thrissur
Marital status : Married
Husband's name : Robert Bobby George
Best achievement till date : won the bronze medal for long jump in World Championships in Athletics
Coaches of Anju George : Robert Bobby George and Mike Powell
Current place of residence : Bengaluru, Karnataka
Facebook page of Anju Bobby George : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anju-Bobby-George/109321229085929
Anju Bobby George is a popular Indian athlete hailing from the state of Kerala. She is well known both in Kerala as well as globally for her renowned achievements in the field of athletics. She is the first Indian athlete to win a medal in the World Championships in Athletics. It happened in the year 2003 where she won a bronze medal in long jump. The event had taken place in Paris. As far as Anju is concerned, she feels that her best achievement till date is the one where she won a silver medal at the IAAF World Athletics Final in the year 2005.
Anju George's education and family life
Anju George was born on 19th April 1977 in a place called Changanassery in Kerala. Her father's name if K.T Markose and they belong to the Kochuparambil family. It was her father who immensely supported her to achieve a career in athletics. Anju got her basic education from CKM Koruthode school from where she also got a lot of initial training for athletics. She attained her graduation degree form Vimala College in Thrissur district of Kerala. At post graduation level, she studied in the Calicut university of Kerala. Needless to say, she was very active in sports during her school days itself where she won numerous medals and trophies for hurdles, long jump and high jump. Anju George is already married to Robert Bobby George who was also quite famous previously in the athletic field. He was a national champion in triple jump. His athletic career got over in the year 1998. Ever since, Robert George has been coaching his wife Anju George. Robert George comes from a family of sports personalities which includes his elder brother, Jimmy George, who is a famous volleyball player. Another person who is responsible in molding Anju's talent in athletics is none other than the renowned international athletics coach, Mike Powell. Anju's modest character makes her give most of the credit of her success to her husband Robert. Anju George has an association with the Customs Department of India.
Professional career of Anju Bobby George
In the year 1999, Anju George set the national record for triple jump in the Bangalore Federation Cup. She started her athletic career with heptathlon which consists of hurdles, high jump, shot put, long jump, javelin throw, 200m and 800m. Soon enough, she realized that it was better to concentrate on one or two athletic sports and achieve the best in them. So she chose to excel in jump events. Eventually, she got her first big success in the 1996 Delhi Junior Asian Championship. It was from the year 2002 that she started to be recognized on an international level in athletics. During her long athletic career, Anju George has faced a lot of injuries and harm to her physical health which brought few obstacles to her performances in some of the athletic events. In spite of such problems, she climbed the ladder of success with great speed. This can be proved by looking at her career graph which shows that in the year 2001, she was ranked 61 in the World ranking list of athletes whereas in the year 2006, she rose up to rank 6 in the list. Currently, she is known world wide as one of the best athletics.
Anju Bobby George has also faced few failures in her sporting career. At the 2004 Athens Olympics, she was not able to win a medal. She was a participant in the 2008 Beijing Olympics but here too, she was not able to qualify for the women's long jump.
Achievements of Anju Bobby George
1. National record for triple jump in Bangalore Federation Cup.
2. Won long jump medal in 1996 Delhi Junior Asian Championship.
3. Won silver medal in South Asian Federation Games in Nepal.
4. Broke her own record in long jump and set a new one in 2001 National Circuit Meet at
5. Won gold medal in triple jump and long jump in Ludhiana National Games in the year 2001.
6. Won the bronze medal at 2002 Commonwealth Games at Manchester.
7. Won gold medal at the Asian Games in Busan in 2002.
8. Made history by winning the bronze medal in long jump at the 2003 World Championships in Athletics in Paris.
9. Won a medal at the 2004 Olympic Games at Athens which pushed her up to the sixth position in Athens Olympics.
10. Won gold medal in women's long jump at the 16th Asian Athletics Championship in Incheon city of South Korea.
11. Won silver medal at the IAAF World Athletics Final in 2005.
12. Won silver medal in women's long jump in the 15th Asian Games, Doha in year 2006.
13. Won silver medal in the 17th Asian Athletics Championship at Amman (Jordan).
14. Qualified for Osaka World Championship in 2007.
15. Won silver medal in 3rd Asian Indoor Championship in Athletics at Doha.
16. Won gold medal in the 3rd South Asian Athletics Championships at Kochi, Kerala.
17. Qualified to participate in 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
As a matter of fact, Anju Bobby George's achievements have brought a lot of fame and recognition not only to herself, but also to India. She has performed extremely well at regional level, national level and international level. Such high talent and skill in athletics won her a lot of awards from various areas which includes the Padma Shri award from the government of India. She won this national award in the year 2004. She took a break from athletics in the year 2010 because Anju George and Robert Bobby George were expecting their baby and Anju wanted to keep away from the athletic tracks during that period.
Awards won by Anju Bobby George
1. Arjuna Award in the year 2002-03.
2. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the year 2003-04.
3. Padma Shri in the year 2004.
4. Hero Sports Academy Awards - Sports Woman of the year in 2004 and 2005.
5. Jimmy George Award in the year 2004.
6. Mathrubhumi Star of the year in the year 2003.
7. The best female Athlete National Games in the year 2001 and 2002.
Read related articles: Kerala Sports Personalities Profile & Biography
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...