Kerala Wildlife Sanctuaries - Exotic Destinations
Kerala wildlife sanctuaries and exotic destinations are given here. Kerala is blessed with a number of wild life sanctuaries. These wild life sanctuaries are the some of the most delightful trekking trails in the country. fourteen wild life sanctuaries are nestled in the luxuriant forests of Western Ghats in Kerala. Read this article to know more about the sanctuaries.
Kerala is renowned over the world for its unique and diverse attractions. Exotic wild life sanctuaries, golden beaches, refreshing hill stations, magical back waters, rejuvenating ayurveda, colorful festivals, beautiful art forms and delightful cuisines make Kerala truly a god's on country. Kerala is blessed with a number of wild life sanctuaries. These wild life sanctuaries are the some of the most delightful trekking trails in the country. Fourteen wild life sanctuaries are nestled in the luxuriant forests of Western Ghats in Kerala. All these sanctuaries are washed in the spice scented air of endless acres of plantation ranging from pepper, vanilla and cardamom to coffee and tea. The sanctuaries of Kerala offer the most magical experience of nature in all its virgin beauty.
Wild life sanctuaries in Kerala
1) Eravikulam national park: Eravikulam national park is the home of Nilgiri tahr and is situated 15 km from Munnar in Devikulam taluk. The gang of Nilgiri thar and the beautiful Neelakuruji flower that blooms just once in 12 year is the main attraction of the park. The park is sprawled over 97 sq km and is divided in to three region where the viewers are allowed to visit only the tourism region. Nilgiri thar can be viewed at a very close distance from this region. Anamudi the highest peak in south India which is 2695 m high is located in the southern region of the park. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04865 - 2531587
2) Periyar wild life sanctuary: It is the one of the richest bio diversity spot in Kerala which is situated 4 km from Thekkady in Idukki. This Sanctuary is spread across 800 sq km of the Western Ghats of which 300 sq km is thick ever green forest. It was declared as a wild life sanctuary in the year of 1978. Visitors can view and enjoy the beauty of this sanctuary at very close from the house boats. This fascinating natural wildlife sanctuary of Thekkady is renowned over the world for its Periyar tiger reserve. There are two watch towers are fitted inside the forest teeming with exotic wildlife. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04869 - 222027
3) Neyyar Sanctuary: Neyyar Sanctuary sanctuary is a haven of exotic flora and fauna which is situated 30 km from Thiruvanthapuram. This is an ideal trekking destination spreads across 12000 hectares of natural vegetation which include rushing brooks, flat meadows and gentle slopes. The 1868 m high peak Agasthyamala is the highest point of Neyyar Sanctuary. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0471 - 2360762, 2272182
4) Shenduruney wild life sanctuary: Shenduruney wild life sanctuary is situated 66 km from Kollam. It was declared as a wild life sanctuary in the year of 1984. This region unique for its bio diversity, scraps of stone age culture and an important ecotourism resource, Thenmala. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0475 - 2344600, 0471 - 2329770
5) Peppara wild life sanctuary: This is a haven of exotic flora and fauna which is situated 50 km from Thiruvanthapuram. This Sanctuary is spread across 53 sq km of the Western Ghats which is dotted with forests, hill tops and eucalyptus plantations. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0472 - 2892344, 0471 - 2322217, 2360762
6) Idukki wild life sanctuary: This sanctuary is situated 53 km from Thodupuzha in Idukki. A charming awning of tropical semi ever green forest, tropical ever green forest and moist deciduous fringe the scenic lake that bent these region on three sides. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04862 - 232271
7) Thattekkad Bird sanctuary: Thattekkad Bird sanctuary is situated 20 km from Kothamangalam in Ernakulam. This sanctuary is also known as Dr. Salim Ali Bird sanctuary. This ever green forest was discovered by the renowned ornithologist of India Dr. Salim Ali. Hence it named by his name after him. Different species of Birds can be found in this sanctuary which include hornbill, wood picker, kingfisher, darter, parrot, grackle, raptor etc. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0485 - 2588302
8) Chinnar wildlife sanctuary: Chinnar wildlife sanctuary is situated 60 km from Munnar in Idukki. It is on the border of Tamilnadu. The Rajamala - Udumalpet road (SH 17 ) winds right through it enabling the tourists to view the wildlife of Chinnar which include elephants, sambar, gaur etc. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04865 - 2531587
9) Aralam wildlife sanctuary: Aralam wildlife sanctuary is spread across 55 sq km which is situated 35 km from Thalassery in Kannur. The main attraction of the sanctuary include soft trekking, nature walks, bamboo rafting, coracle boating, bhoothakallu etc. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0490 - 2413160
10) Wayanad wildlife sanctuary: Sanctuary is established in the year of 1973 which is situated 17 km east of Sulthan bathery. Wayanad wildlife sanctuary is spread across 344 sq km which is formed up of two discontinuous pockets Tholpetty in the north and Muthanga in the south. Tholpetty is situated 15 km from Mananthavady and Muthanga is situated 18 km west of Sulthan Bathery. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04936 - 220454
11) Silent valley national park: This is a famous national park that spread across 90 sq km which is situated 40 km northwest of Mannarkad in Palakkad. This national park is believed to be the sole surveying bit of ever green forest in the Sahya Ranges. This national park is named silent valley because of the peculiarity of the park itself. That is this park is devoid even of the chirping of cicadas. Contact number of the permitting authority: 04924 - 220454
12) Prambikulam wildlife sanctuary: This sanctuary is sprawled across 285 sq km which is situated 110 km from Palakkad. This wildlife sanctuary is the home of rare wild animals. Parambikulam reservoir near it offer boating / cruising facilities for the visitors. Contact number of the permitting authority: 0491 - 2556393
13) Chimmini wildlife sanctuary: Chimmini wildlife sanctuary is a famous one which is situated 37 km from Thrissur. This is the home of variety of birds and butterflies. Trekking and bamboo rafting programs organized by the forest department is the main attraction of the sanctuary. But the highlight of every excursion is the moon light sonata which involves rafting on full moon light.